SEPARATED AT BIRTH II
by Rob Lopresti
We did this back in April, but it ain’t a summer rerun, because all the questions are brand spanking new. Each pair of actors played the same character, well-known in mystery fiction. The questions get harder as you go down the page. Answers are at the bottom. Have fun!
1. Sean Connery and Daniel Craig.
2. Nigel Bruce and Robert Duvall.
3. Edward Petherbridge and Robert Montgomery
4. Myrna Loy and Phyllis Kirk
5. Alec Guinness and James Mason
6. Val Kilmer and Roger Moore
7. Edna May Oliver and Eve Arden
8. Lou Diamond Phillips and Adam Beach.
9. Robert Lansing and Burt Reynolds
10. Samuel L. Jackson and James Coburn
And here are the answers, in case you possibly failed to get them all . . .
1. Ian Fleming’s James Bond. Sean Connery in 7 movies beginning with Doctor No, Daniel Craig in 2 movies beginning with Casino Royale.
2. Arthur Conan Doyle’s Doctor John Watson. Nigel Bruce in many movies, Robert Duvall in The Seven Percent Solution.
3. Dorothy L. Sayers’ Peter Wimsey. Edmund Petherbridge in TV’s Lord Peter Wimsey, Robert Montgomery in Haunted Honeymoon.
4. Dashiell Hammett’s Nora Charles. Myrna Loy in five movies beginning with The Thin Man, Phyllis Kirk on the TV series The Thin Man.
5. John LeCarré’s George Smiley. Alec Guinness in two TV miniseries starting with Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, and James Mason in The Deadly Affair.
6. Leslie Charteris’ Simon Templar. Val Kilmer in the movie The Saint, Roger Moore in the TV show The Saint.
7. Stuart Palmer’s Hildegarde Withers. Edna May Oliver in several movies beginning with Penguin Pool Murder, Eve Arden in A Very Missing Person.
8. Tony Hillerman’s Jim Chee. Lou Diamond Phillips in The Dark Wind, Adam Beach in three TV movies beginning with Skinwalkers.
9. Ed McBain’s Steve Carella. Robert Lansing in the TV series 87th Precinct and Burt Reynolds in Fuzz.
10. Dashiell Hammett’s The Continental Op. Samuel L. Jackson in The House on Turk Street (No Good Deed), James Coburn in TV’s The Dain Curse.